Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes
Before you read our travel article below: Staying at home tip #1 from us is Amazon Prime Channels (14 days Free). They have amazing travel and nature movies. And for groceries: The Best Groceries on Amazon!
Important: If you plan to visit a national park in the U.S. despite the circumstances, please check out our daily updated list and tips: Which U.S. National Parks Are Open Right Now?
Do the hike up the dunes before sunrise to avoid the heat of the day and enjoy a magnificent experience. That way you'll also dodge the crowds which are present during the day. Another great time is sunset of course. Check our Death Valley Guide for detailed tips for each season.
No trail to follow, just explore these beautiful place on your own. Watch the sun come up and paint the dunes, enjoy the peace and quiet and surround yourself in pure nature.
Must-Know Facts and Tips
- For taking photos without foot prints get there early or walk further
- Excellent for stunning sunrise or sunset photos
- A perfect spot for stargazing in Death Valley because of the nobstructed views
- The crowds thin out the further you walk from the parking lot
- Wear shoes, the sand is hot, very hot!
- Bring a sand board to slide down the dunes
- It's easily accessible from Hwy. 190 and a short 25 minutes drive from Furnace Creek Visitor Center
- No facilities or bathroom. Do everything at Furnace Creek