NEW RENTAL CAR TIP: Recently we switched to 'Discover Cars' as our preferred provider: Discover Cars | Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Enterprise | ✓ No Hidden Costs ✓ 24/7 Support ✓ Free Cancellation. Bookmark the link to save money! Their support is amazing!
It's a year-round destination, even beautiful in winter! Best weather with pleasant temperatures from May to September. However, it gets busy in the peak summer months. During the winter months it's much quieter.
Avoiding Tourist Crowds
Season/Months: If you want to dodge the crowds, don't go in July/August and try to avoid weekends in general. The high season starts mid-June with many tourists visiting the place. It usually gets very crowded in the summer. While it's quieter in the winter, crowds are attracted during Christmas and New Years celebrations. April/May and September/October are great months with a pretty good chance of nice weather and fewer tourists than in summer. Very quiet months (besides Christmas and New Years Eve) are November until February. It can get cold with snow, especially in January. However, winter is a great time to enjoy this place since it's super quiet.
Time of Day: If you visit in the summer, you can avoid the crowds by starting your activities early in the day. For example, visit the iconic Bled Castle first thing in the morning: It opens at 8 AM. It starts to get really crowded around 10 AM. The next morning you could rent a boat and row to Bled Island. Again, if you do this early, you'll dodge the crowds and enjoy a peaceful lake and island. Special tip: When it gets insanely crowded later in the day, wander around Lake Bled, and you'll find at least some spots of solitude. Another idea is to hike a strenuous or longer trail. Most visitors do the short walks only.
Lake Bled is truly a magical place with so much to see and do. We arrived in Spring to our amazement to see a beautiful clear fresh water lake with an Island in the center. It is well preserved with no motorised boats on the lake, but you can row or swim to the Island and explore. For those picturesque views of the lake you can walk up to Blejski Castle, enjoy a meal and the view. Visit the museum of Bled, a Blacksmith and many other things to explore (which includes wine).
If you are still up for a hike after visiting the castle I suggest walking to Blejski Vintgar Gorge (about 2 hour hike to get there and 2-4 hour hike through the gorge). This was a secondary highlight just board walking over the fast flowing and still water parts of the gorge. It was a beautiful display of nature which showed very little interference from tourists. Not up to the slow pace of rowing and hiking? There is an extreme bobsled on the side of the mountain for the adrenaline junkie plus so much more on and off the ground. What ever your way of travelling and expectations are, you won't be disappointed with Lake Bled.
Since it was Spring check out to see if the Bled Film Festival is running - we stumbled on this. You can walk the red carpet, drink and talk to the locals. You can watch an open air night cinema with a lit up castle/lake as the backdrop.
reviewed by Daniel Knowles
Things To Do / Activities
- Walk to Bled Castle: You have to walk up to Bled Castle at least once. Enjoy the stunning view and check out the museum as well (Prices Bled Castle). Depending on the location of your hotel or B&B, it’s a 10 minute to 60 minutes walk.
- Visit Vintgar Gorge: It’s an easy hike from Bled to this gorgeous place (google maps). We suggest this beautiful round trip: Bled > Zasip > Vintgar Gorge > Bled. This gorge is a must-see, it extends up over a waterfall and has a built in bridge.
- More Hikes: There are many marked/signposted trails around Lake Bled. The hike to Pokljuka Gorge shouldn't be missed! A longer and slightly more strenuous hike is Mt. Stol. Another nearby base for hiking is the Pokljuka Plateau, with daily buses going there from Bled in the summer (Transportation Bled)
- Row a Boat: Hire a rowboat to row around the lake. You can get to the island and wander about at your leisure. Between 12-18 EUR/hour. Or you could get a spot on a historic Pletna Boat. More information: Slovenia for you - Things to do
- Eat a Bled Cream Cake: No kidding, try it at least once: Photo Bled Cream Cake It can be bought at most cafes and restaurants in Bled.
Where to Stay (bookmark the links)
- Villa Istra: Exceptional hotel directly at Lake Bled. Quieter and nicer location than others (google maps). Fantastic view of the lake, pleasant and helpful staff, clean and excellent food. Our preferred accommodation!
- Old Parish House: Budget Tip! Not really cheap, but significantly less expensive. Unique location in a historic building next to a church, but still quiet except for the bell tower. You can walk in 7 minutes to Bled Castle. Helpful staff, remodeled rooms, modern bathrooms and very clean. Excellent food!
- Hotels - Lake Bled: More Alternatives. Use the comfortable search: Enter your preferred dates and then check the list of hotels. Make sure to change the search criteria to your liking at the top bar. We usually select 'Review Score & Price'.
Special Tour Tip
Venice to Budapest including Lake Bled (8 days). Hiking, biking, canoeing at Lake Bled, a train ride to Salzburg, Opera House in Vienna and much more off the beaten path. Highly recommended tour!