- Spring is pleasant (flower season August and especially September), but rain is possible until the end of August. October is not too hot and a good month for hiking and rock climbing.
- Summer from November to March is warm and dry but hot at midday with almost any shelter. Hiking in summer is best in the morning.
- Autumn from April to mid-May is still warm and pleasant for hiking, but rain showers can occur.
- Most precipitation in winter until August. Nights are really cold. Snow on the peaks is possible. Low water bridge across Olifants river can be flooded and closed.
Crowded at weekends, public holiday and school holiday. More popular for the South Africans. Stadsaal Cave best sunlight in the afternoon.
The Cederberg region is a World Heritage Site, located between Pakhuis Pass close to Clanwilliam and Middelberg Pass close to Citrusdal. Cederberg was named after an endemic cypress tree which is growing at high elevation. The region is also famous for rooibos tea. Cederberg is well-known for hiking and San paintings. The hiking trails are not well marked. We had difficulties to find the right path to the Wolfberg Cracks.
Unfortunately, our first visit was in August after heavy rainfall, and we couldn’t pass the bridge, and at the second time, it was summer and too hot for 8 hours hiking. At midday, we tried to take a bath at a waterfall or in a creek.
We booked a fully equipped self-catering cottage close to Algeria for several nights. The cottages are beautifully located with BBQ.
Popular trails close to Algeria:
- Middelberg Waterfall which takes less than 2 ½ hours
- Uitkyk takes about 2 ½ hours and several up to 8 hours trails
The other starting point is the Dwarsrivier Farm. Permits are required for day hikes. These are the most popular ones close to the farm:
- Maltese Cross; the trail is about 7 km long and takes 2 ½ hours
- Wolfberg Cracks takes about 3 to 4 hours, not easy to find, GPS helpful
- Wolfberg Arch takes 7 to 8 hours, and the trail is roughly 15 km long
- Most popular and easily accessible is the Stadsaal Cave and the Elephant Rock Art. The Khoisan Rock Art estimated to be at least 1000 years old.