Sgùrr na Banachdaich is one of the Cuillin Munros, the mountains above 3000 feet. It is considered one of the easiest mountains in the Cuillin ridge to climb yet not to be underestimated.
The waterfall is nestled in a beautiful landscape in Bad Urach. It is a famous and easy trail of less than 2 km one way along Brühlbach (a stream).
This waterfall is a popular year-round attraction in the Swabian Alps. Weekends and summer holiday are overcrowded. It looks like a pilgrims' path even in the evening. The flow of the waterfall is best after rainfall and during the thawing period. The flow can be between 70 and more than 400 liters each second.
In winter the waterfall can freezes which looks terrific. The sunlight is best in the morning, and it is not that busy.
Although there are several car parks, they fill up soon from midday onwards in the summer. The large car park area is called P 23, and the fee is 2 € until 4 p.m. Afterwards parking is for free.
PLEASE NOTE that hiking on the glacier requires mountain experience and special equipment (crampons, ice ax, ropes etc.) Hiking in "very warm" weather during summer season can be dangerous because
The best time for hiking is usually from the end of May till the end of June, then September till the start of October. July and August are very hot and the glacier can melt very fast in the afternoon when the sun is out. It is necessary to start early in the morning to be sure you will get back down as soon as possible. However, it's pretty cold minus degrees throughout the year
Due to the easy accessibility, the mountain is often a bit busy. The cable car is often very full of skiers. However, it's a perfect climb for beginners in such a height. To avoid crowds and the melting glaciers take the first cable car to the Kleinmatterhorn.
More men died in the Battle of Gettysburg than any other battle fought on American soil before or since. The 3,965 acres of the Gettysburg Battlefield is managed by the National Park Foundation.
Over and over again people recommended autumn for thinner crowds, cooler temps, and a more peaceful experience. The tress in Pennsylvanian are stunning in the fall.
When not to go - July. From everyone I have spoken to this is the most heavily visited month of the year.
However, the Battle of Gettysburg took place July 1, 2 & 3, 1863. If being there on those dates of remembrance is important to you, there is an annual reenactment of the battle. Here is information to purchase tickets to that event. http://www.gettysburgreenactment...
Geierlay is the second-longest suspension bridge in Germany with 360 meters at the height of 100 meters. In contrast to the longest suspension bridge in the Harz, the entrance is for free.
Geierlay is one of the most picturesque bridges in Germany. It's a half-day trip to the popular suspension bridge if you are in the Hunsrück area, at river Moselle, Eltz Castle, or as a good stopover. The bridge is open 24/7. The visitor terminal is open each day from 10 am to 4 pm and provides a map in different languages. Make sure to read our 5 Must-Know Tips below (scroll down).
It's utterly crowded during the summer and weekends are the worst, especially on sunny days. In autumn the views are just spectacular with the fall foliage. To avoid the crowds, visit the bridge early morning or late in the evening in the summer. Very few visitors in winter only.
Restrictions Summer/Fall 2020
COVID-19 markings and signs: Sosberg side around 10 am on a Friday in summer peak season
The bridge is open and accessible! However, due to COVID-19 there are some restrictions in place for the summer of 2020 (and maybe even longer):
- You have to wear a face mask before entering the bridge area and keep a distance of 1,5m to others
- People allowed on the bridge at the same time is limited to 30
- Every even hour the bridge can be entered from Mörsdorf side (e.g. 14 p.m., 16 p.m., etc) and every odd hour from Sosberg side (e.g. 13 p.m., 17 p.m., etc.) for 50 minutes
- Security guards are at each side from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. to make sure the above rules are being followed by visitors
During summer holidays and on weekends, the odd/even hour restrictions (see above) usually results in long waiting lines between midday and the early evening. Tip: Arrive early at the bridge to avoid waiting for 1-2 hours! Being there at around 10 a.m. is usually sufficient and you can enter the bridge without waiting. It also thins out in the evening but usually not much before 7 p.m.
Tip for photographers; The sunlight is best in the evening. The sunset is just gorgeous here.
The river Elbe gave the Elbe Sandstone Mountains their shape; carved the rocky landscape, deep valleys, and gorges millions of years ago.
Located in Saxon Switzerland National Park are the famous Elbe Sandstone Mountains. Here you visit breathtaking sights like the Bastei Bridge, hike stunning trails and even climb gorgeous rock formations. The region got already developed for tourism at the end of the 18th century. Many visitors come here simply to visit the main attraction the Bastei Bridge, and the remained ruins of the Neurathen Castle. We spent more than a week here, because there is so much more to explore.
We wrote this guide for everyone: Sightseeing only visitors, as well as hikers and climbers. We even provide the best accommodation tips as well as personal tips for cruise tours from Dresden. Read our complete guide below, including weather details and tips for the Bastei Bridge or jump directly to 9 Must-Do Sights and Hikes in Saxon Switzerland National Park with many insider tips!
Avoiding the Crowds in Saxon Switzerland
It is the most popular place in Saxon Switzerland, with around 1.5 million visitors each year. To enjoy this beautiful place; the Bastei without crowds, you should visit this fascinating sight in spring, autumn or winter either very early in the morning or late evening. We visited this magic sandstone bridge several times in May. We enjoyed most our visit at 6.30 on a Sunday morning. We shared this incredible impressive Bastei Bridge and the surroundings with very few people. Avoid midday when the bridge and the castle ruin are overrun.
Opening Hours Bastei and Fortress Königstein
- The reproduction of the Neurathen Castle is accessible 24/7. From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. the entrance fee of 2 € has to be paid at a cash desk and afterwards, you are asked to put the payment into a metal box. This is a fabulous opportunity to enjoy this magical place at sunrise or sunset with a few people and photographers only. If you like to watch the sunset or sunrise in the summertime, it is best to stay next to the Bastei in the Berghotel Bastei.
- The Fortress Königstein is utterly overrun nearly the entire day because of the many tour buses. The crowds start to thin out after 3 pm and the last hour is the quietest of the day. Open from 9 am – closes at 6 pm from April to October and 5 pm from November to March. Last admission one hour before closure. The Historical Christmas Market, every weekend in the Advent, is a highlight not to be missed in December. These weekends are pretty popular. Book your hotel in advance.
Tips for Photographers
To get the perfect shot of the Bastei Bridge come here early morning. To experience the sunrise at the Bastei is a must but pretty early during summer. We had chosen the Berghotel Bastei next to the bridge and enjoyed our breakfast afterwards.
Weather and Hiking Conditions
Usually, best-hiking conditions for Saxon Switzerland and the Bohemian Swiss are from April to October. Trails are slippery when wet, especially the iron stairs and stone steps. Leave the mountains during thunderstorms, don't walk on the iron stairs. Winter is awesome as well when the hills are covered in snow, but the weather is more unpredictable. During summer it's pleasant warm around 20°C at daytime, but it can get hot while hiking without any shadow in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains. Expect minus degrees at day and night on top of the mountains during winter. It is several degrees warmer at the foot of the mountains. Rain (snow in winter) occurs throughout the year, occasionally heavy thunderstorms during summer. We experienced a thunderstorm and hail at the end of May.
Best Accommodations Nearby
- The Berghotel Bastei in the heart of the National Park and next to the famous Bastei Bridge is the best choice if you are limited in time. You couldn't wish for a better location. The balconies have spectacular views. The breakfast buffet offers a huge variety, and the panorama restaurant is perfect for bringing the day to a close with an excellent dinner. Lots of hikes can be done from here as well.
- Bad Schandau (Hotel List) A small town ideally located in the middle of the National Park close to all attractions and hiking trails the Saxonian Switzerland has to offer. Bookmark the link, check out the many hotels and get the best prices for Bad Schandau.
- We like the little village Schmilka with an exceptional organic bakery the "Schmicksche Mühle" and the organic boutique brewery most. They also offer delicious food which you can enjoy in the beer garden of the old school "Zur alten Schule". Moreover belongs the Hotel Zur Mühle Boutique & Spa to the bakery and brewery.
Directly behind the hotel starts the "Painters Way" a gorgeous hike up to the most famous rocks. The bus for hikers departs 200 meters away. Schmilka is located next to the German-Czech border and one of our favourite hikes to the "Prebischtor". More about the different hiking trails in the description.
Getting to the Bastei from Dresden (Tips & Tours)
For those who are limited in time, you can either take a train from Dresden to Rathen or book a guided tour. The train (S-Bahn) from Dresden Central Station to Rathen operates at least twice each hour. From here you can take a ferry boat to cross the river Elbe. You can't miss the ferry; signs are leading to the jetty. After the short ferry ride, it’s a steep trail up along many steps through the forest to the Bastei Bridge. However, consider that there is much more to explore than this picturesque and famous bridge. To discover this excellent hiking region, you can book a guided trip from Dresden to the Elbe Sandstone Mountains as well: From Dresden: Hike Through Saxon Switzerland incl. Transfers. This is a wonderful hiking tour with extremely friendly and very knowledgeable guides.